Monday, May 17, 2010

Jugo de Piña


Fresh juice is hugely popular in Colombia. They drink it at every meal - the most popular kinds are mora (raspberry), mango, naranja (orange), and Colombia specific fruits like lulo and guabana. Mango was my favorite until I tasted piña the other day. I was so good I had to learnhow to make it at home, entonces...

My recipe for delicious fresh pineapple juice...requires only pineapple and water.


First cut the top and the sides off of the pineapple. Then cut into cubes.


If you use half of the pineapple. you should add 1 liter of water - this will yield 3/4 liter of juice. If you use the entire pineapple, add 2 liters of water - and this will yield 1.5 liters of juice,

Add the cubed pineapple and the water to the blender. And blend on the first setting for about a minute.


Then, holding the strainer over the pitcher, pour the juice from the blender. You will probably need to stop halfway through and press the juice through the strainer.

I reserved the pulp, but haven't decided what I will do with it yet...

Once you've poured all of the juice into the pitcher, wash the strainer out and strain again.

...and that's it. Delicious fresh pineapple juice.

2 comments:

  1. for the pulp, mix it with a little of the juice back in and freeze them to make ice pops!

    or put it in some jello

    OR you can cook some savory meat with the pulp. Like a stew of some sort?

    or put it in pancakes

    oh dear the possibilities are endless. I would freeze them in small batches

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, all good ideas. I ended up using it for a savory sauce with beef. It was pretty good, but I can't say I'd make it again...I really need a crash course in sauces.

    ReplyDelete