Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Zipaquira!


Zipaquira prides itself on being the number one tourist attraction in Colombia. And I have to give it to them, they have something pretty cool to show.

Zipaquira is a small mining town a little over an hour outside of Bogota. They mine SALT. I don't know how many miles of salt mines they have underground because it was all said to me in Spanish - and, well, they don't measure in miles here...but I know it's a lot!

The actual "tourist attraction" is made up of four parts:


1. The Salt Cathedral is the most impressionable. A guide leads you underground through the stations of the cross. Each station is unique and different, depicting the artists rendition of the station. At the end is the "church" where mass is actually held every sunday.


2. After the Salt Cathedral, you end up at the Mine Route. On the mine tour you learn how the tunnels are made to extract the salt. The guide also has you walk through tunnels in complete darkness, using only your sense of touch and hearing to get through to the other side.


3. Third is the Museum. I'm not exactly sure what I was supposed to learn...maybe how the salt was extracted long, long ago before TNT.


4. The last attraction is the rock climbing wall, which unfortunately I was not aware of, so I didn't have the right type of shoes with me...

Final verdict is Zipaquira is a MUST SEE for anyone visiting the Bogota area.

No comments:

Post a Comment