Friday, April 23, 2010

Brush with fame?


There are two parts to this story:

1. I watch a telenovela (3 actually) every night to imrpove my Spanish listening skills. It's called "Amor Sincero" and it's a true story about a little girl, Maurin, from Cali who grows up to become a famous Colombian singer. It's a pretty interesting story, her mother had 4 children from different parents before her, but is now married to her father, a local police officer. As you can imagine, because after all it is a telenovela, there is a lot of drama. Well, the only part you need to know is that Maurin now has a manager who is a little kooky (see above picture)

2. Last Tuesday I had lunch with my boss, Dr. Emura - I was telling him about how hard it is to understand accents from other parts of the country. Especially Cali, because I watch "Amor Sincero" so I know the accent well. Dr. Emura is actually from Cali and informs me that he is good friends (from high school) with the guy that plays Maurin's Manager (see above picture). So he proceeds to call him up and put me on the phone with him! What? What followed was a very awkward conversation with a pseudo-celebrity (in English thank goodness!). He was cordial, but it was pretty evident that neither of us had any idea what we were doing talking to each other!

I might add that Oscar was very excited about this as he follows "Amor Sincero" religiously :)

No comments:

Post a Comment