Wednesday, July 7, 2010

This city is huge.


This is probably coming a little late in the game...I tried in vain to find a map of Bogota on the Internet that I could post, but eventually had to wait until I found someone selling them on the street. Please excuse Coco's paw in the upper right hand corner.

So here is a little orientation. As you can see, Bogota is HUGE, MASSIVE, GIGANTIC, and home to over 7 million people! But my life is pretty much encapsulated in the circumference of these various objects. Bogota's streets are numbered - Calles go North/South and Carerras go East/West. On the map N/S is horizontal and E/W is Vertical. The top part of the map, or east side of the city is guarded by a beautiful mountain range, which is also very helpful in orienting lost pedestrians in the streets (kind of like the Empire State Building in NYC...)

Silver dot - is our apartment, located at Calle 133, Carerra 58.

Two blue dots - are my jobs. Top one is the doctor's office at Calle 134, Cr. 7. The bottom one is the house of the girl I tutor at Calle 111, Cr. 51

White dot - is my school, located at Calle 100, Cr. 19. With traffic it can, and does, take me one hour every morning to get from the silver dot to the white dot.

Pink dot - is where Oscar works - The Hotel Tequendama, located at Calle 27, Cr. 7. If it takes me an hour to go a very little distance, imagine how long it can take him to get to work. That's why he leaves every morning at 5am to beat the traffic!

I hope this gives you a feel for the immense size of Bogota. I know my area pretty well, but ask me to divert slightly off the beaten path and I would be lost in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment