Friday, March 19, 2010

Scary Cheap Manicures


The sign is advertising manicures for 3,000 COP, that is roughly $1.50...

Seriously cheap...even with a tip it comes out to about $4.00. I see these signs everywhere so it's not just this place. There is a "salon" directly across the street from our apartment with the same sign. I think I've been about two times to get manicures here in Bogota.

I was helping Valentina (Oscar's sister) study for an English test yesterday - we were reading a passage in her textbook about a woman who owns an art gallery in Manchester, England and in New York City. In the first line of the passage she was quoted saying when she's in Manchester she really misses the New York manicures. That really hit home (especially considering my manicure experience in Texas, also).

It might be cheap, but it just isn't the same...

3 comments:

  1. What i would miss are the marbles in my finger soak bowl, a real bowl, and the patience and finger rubs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, you get none of that here - I don't think they have the same health regulations either. Oscar keeps telling me i should go get a manicure...i'm putting it off for as long as possible, i would rather just do it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm super scared of infections - Once i was getting a manicure in queens and they cut me open with the cuticle clipper on my toe and that cut got SOO infected...I have been doing my nails by myself for the longest time since then. I mean, it's a nice novelty but once you have the "Out the Door" quickdry top coat, it is super easy. The only thing i can't do by myself is the ingrowns...that i definitely go to a salon for.

    ReplyDelete